Who doesn’t love these soft dumplings made with panner in a rich and creamy gravy. This is one versatile dish and very popular among the vegeterians. ( NV too love them ,rite ?? 🙂
This scrumptious Malai Kofta makes a stunning vegetarian main course option.It’s is a classic North Indian dish originated from the Mughlai cuisine. Malai refers to the cream and koftas are deep fried paneer and vegetable dumplings in rich and creamy cashew- tomato gravy.
Its rich and flavorful, getting the richness from milk & cream . The soft koftas will simply melt in your mouth, they are soft, they are fragrant and amazingly flavorsome .
Ingredients for Kofta
- 250 gm of Cottage cheese /Paneer ( grated)
- 1 ( medium size ) Boiled potato ( grated/mashed)
- 2 tbsp Cornflour ( helps in binding )
- 1/2 tsp grated Ginger
- 1 tsp Green chili ( finely chopped )
- 1 tbsp Coriander ( finely chopped )
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- For kofta filling ( this is purely optional ,if you don’t want filling just ignore this )
- 1 tbsp Cashewnuts ( finely chopped )
- 1 tbsp Raisins ( chopped )
- 1 tbsp desiccated coconut
- Oil for frying the koftas
For kofta curry
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 Cloves
- 1 inch Cinnamon stick
- 5 Black peppercorns
- 2 Black cardamom
- 1 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 4 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp red Chili powder
- 2 tbsp Cashew nut paste ( soak few cashew nuts in water for 10 minutes and grind in a blender to make a paste )
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Fresh cream
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp Kasuri methi
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
Malai Kofta Recipe
- Mix cashew nuts, grated coconut and raisins in a bowl.Keep aside. ( Follow this if you want the filling or else ignore this step)
- In a bowl mix grated cottage cheese, boiled potatoes, green chilly ,grated ginger ,garam masala, salt to taste, chopped coriander, corn starch & mix nicely.
- Take small amount of the paneer mixture and press with thumb to make a little depression in the center.
- Fill little coconut-cashew-raisins mixture in the center and bring back the ends together and make a round kofta.
- Follow the same process & make all the koftas ,if you are not using the filling ,just make round balls out of paneer mixture.
- Heat oil in a non stick pan and fry the koftas on medium heat till golden brown.
- Remove the koftas on a tissue lined plate.Keep aside.
For kofta Gravy
- Heat butter and oil in a pan.
- Add cloves, black peppercorns, black cardamom and cinnamon and saute for few seconds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry till it changes color.
- Add tomato puree and fry the mixture nicely till it start oozing oil.( about 3-4 min )
- Now add the cashew nut paste, red chili powder and milk ,mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add fresh cream, salt to taste, lemon juice,sugar and crushed kasuri methi and cook for a 2-3 minute.
- Adjust the consistency of the gravy by adding little water and cook till the mixture comes to a boil.
- Add the koftas now in the gravy and let it boil for another 3-4 min.
- Time to Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot with choice of your flat bread either Naan or Laccha paratha.Enjoy ting 🙂
Try it out foodies ,an ideal option for your house parties & special events 🙂 or some time if you just wanna pamper your loved ones.
This recipe is simply the kind you get in restaurants ,its delicious & easy to make . You need to make it to believe it 🙂