Milk cake is a traditional Indian Sweet.No baking is required here its just a block of sweetened, thickened, granular milk carved into squares – simply satisfying! This recipe is a secret recipe of my sweet sister Mita 🙂
- 3 cup of milk ( 2% , 3% )
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Milk Powder
- 1 cup Curd (yoghurt)
- 1/2 cup Ghee (clarified butter)
- Few chopped almond for decoration
- Boil milk in a heavy bottom pan.
- As milk starts boiling ,add Sugar,Milk Powder while stirring milk ,then add ghee.
- At last add curd ,which will help in Curdling of milk,Now cook till all the water evaporates and you will be left with the cake mixture ,make sure to keep stirring the mixture so that it should not get burnt. ( don’t move away )
- Remove the mixture in a casserole or any vessel and keep it for few hours . ( casserole helps to give that nice brown color )
- Cut into pieces & decorate with almond pieces.
Hi..I tried your recipe but my cake became very hard. One thing I could see was that ghee was over because it was floating; probably I didn’t measure cup and bowl properly.
One thing I wanted to know was it is sticking in the mouth, what could be the reason for that?
Also, what should be the color when you turn off the gas? Mine became little more brown and it is now giving a burnt taste but it never stuck to the pan.
Please help. Thanks.
I am sry for the late reply. Many ppl tried the recipe and they were able to make it nicely.please try again taking less quantity and use a non stick pan . No one complained abt sticky cake. May be u are doing something wrong . Use a small bowl for measurement and let me knw the result.
Thanks Chahat. I took a small cup only and went with 3:1 ratio. One more thing do I have to keep stirring all the time, that’s what I did. Milk was also 2% fat. I will try again and let you know.
I know almost everyone succeeded in this recipe.. hence trying to figure out what I did wrong 🙁
Once the milk start curdling its good to stir once in a while till all the water evaporates , after the mixture is little thick keep stirring it so that it shld nt get burnt.
Sent from my iPhone
Hi Chahat – What milk powder do you use? In US where do I get the milk powder? Any grocery store in particular? Do let me know as I definitely want to try this recipe
I m in Canada so nt sure wat kind of stuff u get in US, u can chk any grocessary store and find any milk powder.not brand specific.
Is there a particular type of curd we use? Just want to make sure it does not come out sour.
I use the normal packed curd which i buy from grocessary store.if u make at home u can use tat as well. It wont taste sour for sure. My sis use home made curd.
milk powder is the milk mawwa powder yo get in indian store ?
It’s just simple milk powder nt mawa powder .
are u talking about skimmed milk powder???
Yes you can use skimmed milk powder too.
great recipe..Can i use brown sugar?